- 1 1/2 pounds country-style sausage (mild or non spicy), casings removed and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shells removed
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Creole seasoning, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 beaten egg
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying the eggs
- 4 pieces of bacon
- Mustard sauce (optional)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- In a large bowl combine the sausage, cayenne and salt. Divide into 4 portions and on a sheet of waxed paper, shape each portion into a thin round. Place 1hard-boiled egg on the sausage round and wrap to enclose the egg, patting gently to smooth the surface. (This step is much easier with wet hands.)
- Season the bread crumbs with Creole seasoning. Dredge the sausage-wrapped egg in the flour, then dip in the egg and roll in the bread crumbs until well coated. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- In a deep fryer or large heavy skillet, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees F. Fry the eggs, 2 at a time until golden brown and crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels before serving.
- In a separate pan over medium fry the bacon to desired crispness.
- Wrap bacon around cooked scotch eggs and serve hot or cold, with or without mustard on the side.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Store any extra in an airtight jar or container.